Master of Science - Biochemistry
- 2 years
- 9,666 CAD
- Rolling admission
- Rolling admission
- St. John's / Canada
Our graduate programme offers a high-level education with the purpose of preparing students for careers in research or other STEM fields. We offer MSc and PhD programmes, and many of our MSc students progress to the PhD programme. Our department is one-of-a-kind and diverse, with expertise in nutrition, human metabolism, the molecular structure and function of proteins and membranes, and food science, as well as physiology and the molecular aetiology of normal and disease conditions ranging from obesity, cardiovascular disease, neurology, and cancer to gastrointestinal tract biology and immune cell function. Students in the Faculty of Science will have the opportunity to engage with professors from a variety of backgrounds. Memorial University also has a new cutting-edge Animal Research Center, which is updating medical research in the province. Following graduation, students can either continue their academic careers, work in industry or government, or pursue a career in medical.
- Advanced Topics in Lipid and Lipoprotein Metabolism
- Special Topics in Biochemistry
- Special Topics in Nutrition and Metabolism
- Special Topics in Food Science
- Control of Intermediary Metabolism
- Structural Biochemistry
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Food Biochemistry
- Cellular, Molecular and Developmental Biology
- Marine Biochemistry
- Processing and Quality of Foods
- Seminars in Biochemistry and Food Science
- Graduate Skills
- Tuition — 9,666 CAD
OTHER FEES (REQUIRED) amounts listed are for two semesters
- Student Services Fee — 100 CAD
- Students' Union — 140 CAD
- Recreation Fee — 138 CAD
- Health Insurance — 523 CAD
Requirements for applicants
- Bachelor's degree (minimum second class) in an appropriate area of study
Applicants who did not complete a baccalaureate or post-graduate degree at a recognized university where English is the primary language of instruction must normally complete either the:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a paper-based score of 580 (or higher), computer-based score of 237 (or higher), or internet-based score of 92-93 (or higher); or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and achieve a score of 7 (or higher).
- Please note that other equivalent tests acceptable to Memorial University’s School of Graduate Studies will also be considered.
About the university
Memorial University has a unique responsibility to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador as the only university in the province. Memorial University was founded as a tribute to the Newfoundlanders who gave their lives in military duty during globe War I and later conflicts. We take inspiration from their efforts to create a better future for our province, our country, and the globe.
Over 115 different nations are represented among Memorial University's 19000+ students. Programs range from the traditional to the cutting edge, and can be found at any of Memorial's five locations or online. Memorial University's worldwide network of nearly 100,000 successful alums enhances the institution's capacity and reputation for leadership in research, teaching, and public engagement. Learn more about Memorial University in this quick read.
- Vision — Memorial University will rise to prominence as one of Canada's and the world's top public institutions of higher learning, and it will honor its commitment to serving the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Mission — When it comes to education, research, scholarship, creative activity, service, and public engagement, Memorial University is committed to being at the forefront of innovation and excellence. International students and scholars are welcomed and supported at Memorial, and the institution's contributions of knowledge and experience are valued on all levels of society.
More than 19,400 students and 3,800 teachers and staff from more than 115 countries study, teach, conduct research, create, and participate in activities at our campuses and other locations. You can attend classes at one of Memorial University's several campuses in Newfoundland and Labrador or anywhere in the world; we also offer 475 courses online.
- St. John's campus
- Grenfell Campus
- Marine Institute
- Harlow Campus
- Signal Hill Campus
- Labrador Campus