Master of Science - Public Health
- 2 years
- 9,666 CAD
- Rolling admission
- Rolling admission
- St. John's / Canada
The Master of Public Health is an advanced programme of study for students from a variety of areas who want a professional degree that will equip them for work in a number of public health practise settings. The program's purpose is to train graduates who are skilled in public health practise to promote health and prevent illness and harm in their community.
The Nutrition/Dietetics stream is designed for students who have finished a bachelor's degree in dietetics and want to work in dietetics or community nutrition. It provides advanced academic study in the field of public health, as well as a qualifying internship that will allow practise in the field of dietetics.
The MPH programme is divided into two tracks:
- The Nutrition/Dietetics concentration consists of courses, a research project, and an internship that can be completed in two years of full-time study.
- The Population/Public Health track consists of courses as well as a capstone research project or practicum that can be completed in one year of full-time study. It is also offered on a part-time basis.
- Critical Theory in Health and Society
- Biostatistics I
- Introduction to Community Health
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Basic Clinical Epidemiology
- Epidemiology I
- Epidemiology II
- Community Health Research Methods
- Canadian Health Care System
- Policy and Decision Making
- Determinants of Health: Healthy Public Policy
- Knowledge Transfer and Research
- Advanced Qualitative Methods
- Human Population Genetics
- Public Health Seminar Series I
- Public Health Seminar Series II
- Dietetics Research Project
- Public Health Practicum
- Public Health Capstone Project
- Public Health Surveillance
- Disease and Injury Prevention
- Environmental Health
- Health Promotion
- Communicable Disease Prevention and Control
- Public Health Leadership and Management
- Program Development in P
- Professional Practice
- Community Nutrition
- Dietetics Internship I
- Dietetics Internship II
- Dietetics Internship III
- Dietetics Internship IV
- Tuition — 9,666 CAD
OTHER FEES (REQUIRED) amounts listed are for two semesters
- Student Services Fee — 100 CAD
- Students' Union — 140 CAD
- Recreation Fee — 138 CAD
- Health Insurance — 523 CAD
Requirements for applicants
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum average of 75% over the last 2 years of full-time study. Applicants must also have successfully completed an undergraduate statistics course and an undergraduate dietetics program accredited by Dietitians of Canada (DC) and provide written verification of same.
Applicants who did not complete a baccalaureate or post-graduate degree at a recognized university where English is the primary language of instruction must normally complete either the:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a paper-based score of 580 (or higher), computer-based score of 237 (or higher), or internet-based score of 92-93 (or higher); or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and achieve a score of 7 (or higher).
- Please note that other equivalent tests acceptable to Memorial University’s School of Graduate Studies will also be considered.
About the university
Memorial University has a unique responsibility to the people of Newfoundland and Labrador as the only university in the province. Memorial University was founded as a tribute to the Newfoundlanders who gave their lives in military duty during globe War I and later conflicts. We take inspiration from their efforts to create a better future for our province, our country, and the globe.
Over 115 different nations are represented among Memorial University's 19000+ students. Programs range from the traditional to the cutting edge, and can be found at any of Memorial's five locations or online. Memorial University's worldwide network of nearly 100,000 successful alums enhances the institution's capacity and reputation for leadership in research, teaching, and public engagement. Learn more about Memorial University in this quick read.
- Vision — Memorial University will rise to prominence as one of Canada's and the world's top public institutions of higher learning, and it will honor its commitment to serving the people of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Mission — When it comes to education, research, scholarship, creative activity, service, and public engagement, Memorial University is committed to being at the forefront of innovation and excellence. International students and scholars are welcomed and supported at Memorial, and the institution's contributions of knowledge and experience are valued on all levels of society.
More than 19,400 students and 3,800 teachers and staff from more than 115 countries study, teach, conduct research, create, and participate in activities at our campuses and other locations. You can attend classes at one of Memorial University's several campuses in Newfoundland and Labrador or anywhere in the world; we also offer 475 courses online.
- St. John's campus
- Grenfell Campus
- Marine Institute
- Harlow Campus
- Signal Hill Campus
- Labrador Campus