Master of Arts - Social Work
- 1 year
- 16,750 GBP
- Sept 2024
- May 2024
- Oxford / United Kingdom
- Oxford Brookes University
Our Postgraduate Social Work courses (MA/PGDip) can help you obtain the certification you need if you currently hold a degree and are interested in working as a social worker. Graduates may apply to Social Work England for registration as social workers in England.
We provide excellent social work education through our courses. We are authorized by Social Work England (SWE) and educate in accordance with the Professional Capabilities Framework of the British Association of Social Workers (BASW) (PCF).
Our lecturing staff promotes the most recent social work research while basing their instruction on evidence-based practice.
There are two work placements included in your practice-based learning. As a member of the PCF, you'll collaborate with your practice instructor to hone your skills.
Almost all of our alumni get jobs following graduation. We work with local government employers, commercial, voluntary, and independent groups. You may get a job before graduating.
- Skill Development and Professional Communication
- The Policy and Law Context of Social Care
- Social Work Theory, Assessment and Evidence-Informed Intervention with Adults
- Foundations in Child Welfare and Wellbeing
- Social Work Theory, Assessment and Evidence-Informed Intervention with Children and Families
- Applied Research Methods (MA students only)
- Dissertation (MA students only)
- Social Work Practice 1 (70-day practicum experience)
- Social Work Practice 2 (100-day practicum experience)
- Tuition Fee - 16,750 GBP
Requirements for applicants
Specific Entry Requirements
GCSE: GCSE Maths and English or equivalent at least to grade C or above
- have a good honours degree (2:1 or above for the MA; 2:2 or above for the PGDip), or a professional qualification equivalent to an undergraduate degree, normally in a cognate area
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent at least to grade 4 (C) or above
- have basic IT skills with reliable access to the internet, preferably through a broadband connection.
- have experience of paid or voluntary work with vulnerable people. This would typically be the equivalent of one year’s full-time experience of social care or health care-related practice in either the statutory or the voluntary sector. Caring in a personal capacity may in some instances be acceptable as relevant experience.
English Language Requirements
- For applicants whose first language is not English, an Academic IELTS score of 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.5 in each component) is required.
About the university
The history of Oxford Brookes University spans more than 150 years. We began as a modest School of Art in rented classrooms and have expanded into one of the UK's top modern universities with a reputation for distinction in teaching and research on the local, national, and worldwide levels.
Our primary goal is to provide a top-notch educational experience that helps each of our graduates to be competent, self-assured, and prosperous. The standard of instruction students receive is an integral component of this.
Oxford Brookes works with a wide range of partners both domestically and internationally. Our connections are essential to improving our instruction, research, and information sharing. Additionally, they provide our students a wealth of placement, internship, and employment options.
In cooperation with our Associate College Partners as well as directly, we offer a variety of higher education and degree apprenticeships (ACPs).